viernes, 25 de febrero de 2011

Some thoughts about pros and cons of some teaching examples...

After taking a look at some teaching examples in the section An Introduction to Learning Technologies, it is important to answer such questions as:


1. Why should I be using technology in the first place?
    
Well, I think I should use technology as a resource to help achieve the purpose of a lesson and not as an easy way out when not having anything prepared, for instance. Also, it is important to remember that we cannot let technology lead our teaching practice; conversely, pedagogy must lead it.  


2. What can I do in my own teaching situation?


I can look for some learning technologies that: a) are appropriate for my students regarding their age, skills, and level; b) really help me fulfill the goals of my lesson; and c) adapts well to the contents included y the syllabus.


3. What do my students already use technology for?


Usually, they use it to play games, get in touch with their friends, communicate with teachers (I have the case of a students who usually travels to China and he emails me regarding academic issues -and he is only 8 years old!!!), draw and paint pictures, watch videos of their favorites celebrities, facebooking, etc. 


4. How can I meet my students' needs?


I think the best way to meet my students needs is by selecting learning technologies that help relate everything with do in the class with their lifestyles, interests, cognitive styles, background knowledge, likes and dislikes, etc. In that way, the will feel the activities are attractive, motivating, engaging, challenging (but appropriate for their level), and even fun.

2 comentarios:

  1. Good questions Miguelangel. LTs should be part of what we do, not the raison d'être for deciding what to do in the classroom. It is just a tool like the old chalk and (white)board.

    ResponderEliminar